If you have a home in Brisbane and are searching for a builder here are the top 10 recommended granny flat builders in Brisbane.
These are the granny flat builders in Brisbane that have been ranked the highest, as per the opinion of professionals and reviews left on Google.
I have also covered why these builders are in the top 10, such as what you will gain from using them as your builder.
The highly regarded “best practices” of these Brisbane builders have earned them a spot here.
DON'T PAY A FORTUNE FOR YOUR GRANNY FLAT. Find out how to deal with council and build a granny flat for the lowest cost possible. Learn More.
Here are the Top 10 Recommended Granny Flat Builders in Brisbane
Vision Granny Flats – 0403 309 136.
Established in 2012, this is a one stop shop. They will handle the entire project for you – including:
- Providing a project manager for the build, and
- Finding you a tenant for the granny flat if you wish to rent out.
Other benefits of working with them include that they:
- Have an in-house architect with more than 40 years’ experience, who will draw a passive solar design for your block, if one of their existing plans does not satisfy your needs.
- Have a support team of drafters and engineers.
- Will take care of your council application.
- They will finish building in roughly 4 – 6 weeks after approval is received. In that time, they will already have advertised it for rent, so they have a tenant ready to move in when complete.
- Only use quality products, with a strong focus on building a sustainable granny flat.
Urban Granny Flat Solutions – 1300 676 616.
This Australian family-owned business has more than 20 years’ experience in the building industry.
Pros of choosing them as your building company include that they will:
- Assist you in choosing the best design for your property and lifestyle.
- Allow you to make some modifications, i.e. colours, finishes, and flooring.
- Handle the approval process.
- Advise you of an approximate time frame for construction, as well as what to anticipate during the build
- Assign a Building Supervisor, who’s duty it is to observe and direct the build. They will inspect the project and communicate with you at every stage.
- This ensures you always have one point of contact of a person who is on site.
Resbuild has more than 20 years’ experience designing and building granny flats.
Advantages of choosing to build with them include that they:
- Will design a plan for you, or modify an existing design of theirs.
- Offer project management throughout the entire build.
- Have expert knowledge of Council regulations.
- Have a design team and consultants who can assist you in choosing your design.
- Use only their skilled team of tradespeople.
If they’ve interested you, you can contact them for a Site Assessment Service, which will give you an estimate on costs of constructing your granny flat.
Granny Flats South East Queensland (GFSEQ).
GFSEQ has more than 30 years’ experience in designing and constructing granny flats.
Benefits of choosing them as your building team include that they:
- Will provide you with your own drawings and floor plans. Or, you can choose one of their standard designs, that they will modify to suit your site.
- Are transparent with their costs, meaning no “hidden fees”.
- Are a debt free business. The Director of the business is also the Designer and the Builder, so is interested in providing a granny flat of the best value for you.
- It is nice to speak with one point of contact who wears all the “hats”.
Mark Wilson Design & Build – 0404 888 452.
A family-owned business, Mark himself has more than 30 years’ experience in the building industry, so understands all trades.
What you will gain from choosing Mark and his team is that they:
- Will make the process easy for you, by handling every stage of the project, starting with 3D drawings of your design so you can view your granny flat, through to handover.
- Have great knowledge of the regulations regarding granny flats, so can assist you with approval.
- Take care of all the paperwork required, such as engineering reports, BASIX, a title search and all other certifications.
- Will listen to your desires for your granny flat, and then offer you advice from an experienced point of view.
- Have the knowledge to notice any costly issues before they happen and sorting them out, such as boundary or sewer problems.
- Keep the job site clean.
- Will design your granny flat to match your main home, such as its’ colours, cladding and feel.
- Can create an attached granny flat.
- Supply you with a detailed explanation of the timeframe in which the builder will finish the work, and what the work entails.
- As building takes place, will inform you of any choices that must be made (such as tiles, kitchen finishes, door styles, locks, and handles, etc), so there are no “surprises”.
- Will not put a mark-up on their building materials – you will receive their builders’ price.
- Are flexible with their design whilst still being upfront with changes this may make to the cost throughout the build.
- Enjoy the refreshing feeling of seeing prices broken down like this.
BAAHOUSE & BAASTUDIO Architecture Pty Ltd – 0409 577 705.
This is a professional Australian company that has won several awards for architecture and designing secondary dwellings.
Positives of choosing them to be your building team include that they:
- Build custom-designed, sustainable granny flats that fit in your budget and lifestyle. This starts by listening to your needs and style, and visiting your land, so they can make your perfect granny flat.
- Can draw freehand sketches and a 3D model, so you can see your vision brought to life.
- Take into account your site location, orientation, views, and the best design and layout for your land.
- Will be upfront about what is and isn’t achievable and instead offer you reasonable design solutions, and creative, aesthetically appealing ideas that withstand our Australian climate.
- Remain within your budget, and are open and honest with their fees, so there are no “hidden costs”.
- Have a close relationship with certifiers, engineers, surveyors, and consultants, and expert knowledge of Council requirements to help you gain approval, making the project stress-free for you.
- Have a team of architects with 5-6 years of university training, and a lead Architect with more than 20 years’ experience.
- Will discuss the building process with you, every step of the way.
JAMIN is a team of architects, designers and structural engineers who share a passion for creating you a lovely space.
Pros of choosing to build with them include that they:
- Are a creative team who will come up with innovative ideas for your granny flat.
- Work efficiently to achieve the best outcome for you, within your budget and without compromising on quality.
- Will talk you through their architectural drawings that will show 3 options for the granny flat, then communicate with you throughout the entire project, to ensure your vision is achieved.
- Manage the construction and are on hand to answer any questions.
With more than 16 years’ experience in the building industry, HBB like to ensure that you get the right builders, and designer/architect for your project, at the right price.
Advantages of choosing to work with them include that:
- They can assist you with an architect to design your granny flat, or if you already have plans, will provide you with a builder to work off those.
- All of their builders, designers and architects are properly licensed. They have been assessed, their previous works inspected, and references checked.
SNB is a family-operated business with 27 years’ experience in home alterations and small architectural builds.
Advantages of choosing them as your building team include that they;
- Provide in-house Project Management.
- Are fully qualified, licensed builders who have a team of reliable tradespeople. They deliver quality, affordable granny flats on schedule and within budget.
- Limit themselves to a certain number of projects at any given time, meaning they can focus on your design, details, and constructing to high standards.
- Keep a clean working environment, limiting dust and danger.
- Like to be considerable of your main life, especially if you have children or pets. They think of ways to minimise noise and how they can cause less disruptions to your primary dwelling.
- Can work off your existing plans, or provide you with new drawings.
- Can assist you with an engineer and approval.
- Are passionate about natural eco-building, which will create you a sustainable granny flat.
- As another option, also build tiny houses.
- Have worked on many projects previously, big and small. This knowledge allows for cost saving methods on your materials and construction.
- Maintain a professional level of communication throughout the project.
I hope reading this article has helped you choose a builder for your granny flat.
Though, if you still want a little more information, you can read about what makes a great granny flat builder.
It’s worth noting that the regulations for granny flats in Brisbane vary, depending on your local Council. They decide who can occupy your granny flat. You may be advised that;
- It must be occupied by a ‘member of your household’, or,
- By submitting a Development Application, it might be approved as a type of dwelling known as ‘dual occupancy’, where it can be rented out.
I have written about the regulations on granny flats in Queensland if you want to know more.