If you own a home on the Central Coast, NSW you may possibly be looking for a builder for a secondary dwelling. To assist, here are the top 10 recommended granny flat builders on the Central Coast.
These are the highest rated granny flat builders on the Central Coast, based on professional opinions and reviews in Google, (from those who have used them).
I have also discussed how they made this list and all ‘pros’ you will get by using them as your building company.
Here are the Top 10 Recommended Granny Flat Builders on the Central Coast
DON'T PAY A FORTUNE FOR YOUR GRANNY FLAT. Find out how to deal with council and build a granny flat for the lowest cost possible. Learn More.
Granny Flats Central Coast – (02) 4381 2701 / 0417 274 016.
A local business with more than 37 years’ experience building on the Central Coast, they try to spend their money locally, to support local subcontractors and suppliers.
There is a great difference between builders that have a great reputation and those who don’t.
The benefits of choosing to work with them include that they:
- Build quality, custom-made granny flats to suit your own needs, or you can modify one of their existing designs.
- Are flexible with the design throughout the build.
- Have been a member of the Masters Builders Association of NSW for over 20 years.
Coastal Granny Flats – 1300 052 182.
Coastal Granny Flats has been building on the Central Coast since 1985 and began devoting themselves to granny flats in 2012 as they wanted to bring a cost-effective option to the area.
Advantages of choosing them as your building team include that they will:
- Organise approval through either through Complying Development or a Development Application.
- Work with you to design your dream granny flat, that meets your vision, suits your needs and makes the best of your property, all at an affordable price.
- Modify their existing floor plans to suit you, or if you already have drawings, work off those. Or, they can custom-design a granny flat for you.
- Add decks, patios, etc., to your granny flat, to increase your space.
- Finish construction within 8 – 12 weeks (after approval, depending on weather).
Coastwide Granny Flats – 0414 691 545.
Another local building company, they have over 20 years’ experience.
Benefits of working with them include that they:
- Work alongside Central Coast tradespeople and suppliers. This allows them to work within your budget and needs.
- Will work with you, to design a granny flat that best suits your property.
- Have a range of granny flat designs that make the best use of the available floor space.
- Aim to exceed your hopes, so provide high-quality service and workmanship, use quality products and trades, and deliver the best result for you.
- Can have your granny flat approved, constructed and finished only 12 weeks.
Central Coast Designer Granny Flats – (02) 4947 2800.
Central Coast Designer Granny Flats is a specialised division of the well-respected company Backyard Grannys, and they have much experience in the local area.
If you choose them as your building team, you will gain:
- Flexibility with their designs, which are both stylish and functional.
- A high-quality, architecturally designed granny flat.
- A Design Coordinator dedicated to your project, who draws detailed plans specifically for your property, so your granny flat is built to make the most of your site.
- A colour consultant, to assist you with choosing colour schemes and interior and exterior finishes. These can be designed to match your main home, cladding, and roofing, as well as your style and budget.
- An Approval Coordinator who will submit your application for Complying Development approval.
- A stress-free experience, as their building team will handle the entire process from start to finish, including organising a private certifier and getting your BASIX certificate.
- A granny flat that is finished in roughly 12 – 14 weeks from the start of construction (subject to how complex the design is).
Greenwood Homes & Granny Flats – 1300 622 989.
With a combined 20 years’ family experience in the construction industry, they are dedicated to making sure your granny flat feels homely.
They do so by:
- Personalising it to your style, budget, and site, so every project is unique.
- Using only quality materials from trusted brands.
- Customising every part of their designs, such as the layout, cladding, placement of the windows, material for the walls, and fittings.
- Assisting with suggestions as to what your best options may be, every step of the way.
- Offering a package that includes design from a drafter, certification and approval, or will work off your drawings.
- Communicating with you throughout the entire build on the timeline, any decisions, and progress.
- Having high standards as they are a member of the Housing Industry Association (HIA).
- Building sustainable granny flats as they are a GreenSmart Builder, making them as environmentally-friendly as possible.
- Building on a concrete slab or piers, depending on your site.
- Providing you with a choice of lightweight cladding, including special materials for granny flats in bushfire zones.
PJ Cook Building – 0406 299 318.
PJ Cook has been in the building industry in the Central Coast for more than 18 years.
The pros of choosing to build with them include that they:
- Are experienced in architectural work, so their granny flat designs are clean, modern, spacious and stylish.
- Build granny flats that are outstanding value for money.
- Have a design team, who will customise any one of their standard designs to suit you and your budget. With over 21 designs, you’re sure to find something that works for your site.
- Build attached and detached granny flats.
- Take care of the entire process from design to completion – including approval.
- Your build can start in 6-8 weeks from initial contact, and usually be finished within 12-13 weeks (after the slab is poured).
Acrow Investments – (02) 4308 7854.
A family-owned business with over 20 years’ experience building affordable, high-quality granny flats on the Central Coast, they are well-known in the region.
Advantages of working with them include that they:
- Have a big range of designs, or have an architect who will create a custom-design for you.
- Guarantee to beat similar quote with a Turn-Key quote that has no hidden costs, and will stick to your budget.
- Will meet the agreed timeline – and if the granny flat is not completed by then, will pay you rent for the inconvenience.
- Have close relationships with respectable suppliers and tradespeople, all of whom assist in building you a high-quality granny flat.
- Offer a hassle free project, as they will take care of design, approval, an engineer, construction, and a project manager will be available for you to speak to at all times.
If you choose to work with them, you will gain:
DB Homes – 1300 208 113.
DB Homes have been building since 1979.
By choosing them as your building team, you will benefit from:
- Their traditional craft that has been combined with up to date technology, so they have timeless and iconic designs with modern features.
- Being able to fully customise any of their 100 + designs, such as their 1, 2 or 3-bedroom options, or creating a customised plan to suit your both your needs and site.
- Their high-quality fittings, materials, and sustainable and energy efficient techniques.
- Having a personally assigned Master Builder, who will manage your project from beginning to end.
- Their knowledge of the regulations, and gaining assistance with submitting plans for approval.
If they have interested you, you can take a 3D tour through one of their completed projects here.
Versatile Granny Flat’s main design of granny flat is a modular building system.
However, they will also help you to build a traditional granny flat, in weatherboard or brick veneer.
So, you have the choice of purchasing what is an affordable modular home, or have them custom-build a granny flat for you, and then have it built on-site.
If you choose this option, the pros are that they:
I hope reading this article has made it easier for you to choose a builder for your granny flat on the Central Coast.
However, if you still feel that you need a bit more information, you can read about what makes a great granny flat builder, including questions you should ask them.
It’s also worth mentioning that granny flats in Sydney run underneath the regulations of the SEPP. You can read all about the SEPP here.
But basically, a granny flat can potentially be approved in 2 different ways – either by:
There is also no limit on renting out granny flats, such as who is allowed to live in them.
More information on the Central Coast Council is available on their website. From there you can reach out to a town planner and book an appointment in Gosford (Their office location).
Hope this list of builders helps with your future granny flat.
Having built a granny flat in Terrigal, NSW myself, I actually booked an appointment (in person) at Gosford and though a quick check on their computers, they said I could build a granny flat. I then moved forward with getting a Section 10.7 certificate as confirmation before moving forward with the steps to build a granny flat.