There are awards to congratulate granny flat designs. What are these award-winning granny flat designs?
Granny flat design awards intend to acknowledge and support the skill of the designers and builders who work to “Best Practice” when they plan and construct your granny flat, creating a standard for other contractors to follow.
Today I will cover what awards there are for granny flats, and who has won these. I will also show you the designs that won these awards.
DON'T PAY A FORTUNE FOR YOUR GRANNY FLAT. Find out how to deal with council and build a granny flat for the lowest cost possible. Learn More.
You will also get award-winning granny flat design tips, and a list of recommended granny flat designers and builders.
Granny flat award-winners are a great place to start finding a builder.
So, let’s not delay – we have many exciting things to cover.
What Awards Have Been Given for Granny Flats?
Various companies will give out awards for excellent granny flat designs – some local, some nationwide. These are:
Which Designers Have Won These Awards
Below are the designers who have won, or been finalists for, these awards.
The BDAA Awards for Best Secondary Dwelling:
BAAHouse’s team of professional architects and builders won this award.
Master Builders’ Association (MBA) NSW Awards – Excellence in Housing:
Winner = Rescon Granny Flats.
Winner = Bungalow Homes.
Granny Flat Solutions won this award several times for multiple secondary dwellings, and were also a finalist for another.
HIA-CSR NSW Housing Awards:
Winner of the HIA Hunter Affordable Housing Award = Aspect Z.
Winner of the HIA Hunter Region Award for Affordable Housing = Backyard Grannys.
Winner of the Hunter Region Outdoor Project = Backspace Living.
2018 & 2019
East Coast Granny Flats won the Affordable Housing Award both these years.
Granny Flat Solutions were finalists.
Backspace Living won the 2019 Hunter Region Affordable Housing Award.
2019 & 2020
East Coast Granny Flats received the Specialised Housing Award in 2019 and 2020.
Hornsby Local Business Awards:
The Hornsby Local Business awards are given to local businesses and their workers that provide remarkable customer service.
Granny Flat Solutions won the:
- Outstanding Service / Trade of the Year.
They were also finalists in the:
- Overall Business of the Year.
Granny Flat Solutions were finalists for the:
- Business Person of the Year for Wally Gebrael (Business Owner).
Master Builders Newcastle
2017 & 2018
Winner of the Excellence in Building Awards = Backyard Grannys.
Lake Macquarie City Business Excellence Awards
Winner = Backyard Grannys.
Finalist = Backyard Grannys.
Sunshine Coast Regional Architectural Awards
Ward Builders were a finalist for this award for a granny flat they built underneath a house in Yandina Creek.
Abbott Builders won the award for their Display Home.
Master Builders Western Australia Housing Excellence Awards
2010, 2011, & 2013
Sovereign Building won the Housing Excellence Award each one of these years.
They were also a finalist in 2010 in the Housing Excellence Award, Customer Service category.
Sovereign Building were a finalist for the Housing Excellence Award again, and the Housing Excellence Award for Customer Service.
One Design and Construct won the Construction Excellence Award in Alterations & Additions $150,000 – $200,000.
Addstyle Master Builders have won this award in several categories – the most outstanding being the 2016 Overall Best Alterations & Addition of the Year.
Finalist for Best New Builder = One Design and Construct.
Finalist for Housing Excellence Award = Sovereign Building again.
Winner of Project Builder of the year = Summit Homes.
Perth’s Granny Flat Specialist won this award in the Ancillary Dwelling (granny flat) category.
One Design and Construct were a Finalist for the Housing Excellence Award.
Summit Homes again won Master Builders Australia Project Builder of the Year.
Yet again, Sovereign Building became a finalist for the Housing Excellence Award.
Master Builders Australia National Excellence in Building & Construction Awards
One Design and Construct were a National Finalist in the Construction Excellence Award in Alterations & Additions Under $150,000.
One Design and Construct became a Finalist for Best New Builder.
HIA Perth Housing Awards
Addstyle Master Builders received the award for the Overall Best Alterations & Additions of the Year in 2016.
Addstyle Master Builders won the category Excellence in Service.
Addstyle won another award, this time for Alterations and Additions.
HIA South Australian Housing Kitchen & Bathroom Awards
Country Living Homes won the award for Transportable Homes.
Lang Homes was awarded the:
- Home of the Year.
- Custom Built Home of the Year.
- Renovation/Addition Project.
They also received a Commendation for the Outdoor Project.
Country Living ranked the 7th largest home builder and residential developer in the Colorbond Steel Housing 100 report. More recently, they have come in at number 89 in all of Australia.
Turnbull Built won both the Renovations/Additions Project, and the Custom Built Home award.
HIA Victoria Housing Awards
WOLF Architect’s designs have been awarded Best Custom Design House in Victoria multiple times.
HIA ACT/Southern NSW Housing Awards
Brothers Projects won the:
- Renovation Project: $500,001 – $650,000.
- Renovation Project: $350,001 – $500,000, and
- Southern NSW Finalist Renovation Project: of the year.
2017 & 2018
Rosin Bros was awarded the category Custom Built home.
Master Builders ACT Building Excellence Awards
Brothers Projects were the winners of all the below.
- National Winner Alteration/Addition Project: $350,000 to $500,000.
- Remodelling Project: $400,000 to $600,000.
- Remodelling Project: $250,000 to $450,000.
- Renovation Project $150,000 to $200,000.
Australian Institute of Architects
Each year jurors of this organisation hand out awards to architects breaking ground with innovative designs.
Every winner of these awards can be seen here.
Granny Flat Best Designs
Below are links to the award-winning designs that gave the above companies this recognition, so you can view them.
- BAAHouse’s 60sqm granny flat on Avalon beach in Sydney.
- Granny Flat Solutions won awards for these dwellings at West Pennant Hills, Pennant Hills, and Turramurra. They were a a finalist for:
- Master Granny Flats was a finalist for this design in Toongabbie.
- This is the Hamptons-style granny flat that Bungalow Homes won an award for.
- East Coast Granny Flats won themselves awards for these designs:
- You can take a tour of this design, which won Backyard Grannys an award. As did:
- Read about Rescon Builders ‘Bancroft’ design, which won them an award. Or take a closer look at it here.
- You can have a look at the granny flat Ward Builders built under the house, for which they became a finalist for an award.
- Take a tour of Backspace Living’s designs that won them awards.
- This granny flat extension won One Design an award in 2016 for an Alteration/Addition costing less than $150,000.
- Australian Renovation Group have won many awards – too many to mention. See some of their work here.
- Watch a video of Summit Homes explaining how they build their award-winning granny flats.
- TR Homes have won 21 awards from HIA since 2009. You can view their architecturally designed granny flats here.
- Addstyle Master Builders won awards for this detached granny flat in Menora, and this second-storey addition.
- Sovereign Building have won, or were finalists for, multiple awards for their custom-built granny flats, their designs which you can view here.
- This architecturally designed granny flat at Forresters Beach won Aspect Z their award.
- You can visit Abbott Builders award-winning display home.
- This transportable home in Trembath Street, Moonta Bay, constructed by Country Living Homes in 2009 gained them an award.
- View Turnbull Built’s award-winning addition here.
- Rosin Bros have won multiple awards for their designs, which can be viewed here.
- Brothers Projects have won numerous awards for their designs, some of which you can see here.
Granny Flat Design Tips
You can get a lot of inspiration for your granny flat from the above award-winning designs.
Architecturally Designed Granny Flats will also give you an idea of why it is worth hiring a designer to draw up your plans.
Granny Flat Designers and Builders
See this article on granny flat builders, based off regonition and great reviews they have received over time.
If you are looking for particular cities, see these posts below:
With the help of a great designer, a bit of thought and a bit of money can get you a great granny flat designed.
If you’re ready to start building your granny flat, here’s a good place to start.
Or, if you want to know more about designs and inspiration, see this post.